Skip to main content


All the pots in the garden have been planted, but not much to look at yet, except these little fuchsias, which have flowered.


We planted Dianthus  'Little Kisses'  underneath the roses that are near the house and they give off a lovely scent as you walk by.  Hopefully, they will not go over until the roses bloom and do their scenty thing.



This is a little meerkat garden ornament my girl bought me when she was about eight...he looks just like me at the moment ....I'm  wilting in the heat.



Someone had her first bath, well shower actually, it's easier.  She has so many fear based issues still, bless her, we've put off bathing until now. She's been in plenty of water since we've had her, but not with shampoo and surprisingly, she was good as gold.


Drying off in the sun
They both had a good brushing and I found a use for  the seed cake basket on my bird table. 


Not very focused and do excuse the neglected, rusting milk churn.  Whenever I brush the dogs, I will deposit their fur into the basket for the birds to take as nesting material.  

Pruning has taken place and some trees were given a severe 'haircut' (should have taken before pictures, they looked like triffids!).

Tree by the pond
Tree at top of garden
The one thing I find hard about lovely sunny weather and the subsequent exposure of flesh, is the fact that bugs, especially mosquitoes, see me as a walking smorgasbord. I was bitten badly yesterday (this always happens) and THEN I take precautions....berk!  I have in the last few years been using this wonderful stuff and if you suffer the same fate, it's brilliant and you don't end up smelling of toxic waste (believe me, I used some stuff in Greece that cleared the room!).



For lunch, I treated myself to my version of a cream tea. Mr passed on this little treat and  had a mushroom and egg roll instead.



I don't eat cream anymore, but full fat Greek yogurt is a lovely replacement.  I was miffed that I'd run out of homemade strawberry jam, so had to go with sour cherry conserve.  The combination of sour cherries and sharp, creamy yogurt was sublime, so delicious, and healthy (not mentioning the all butter scone here of course). 

We had, yes, more asparagus for tea, with some bubbles.  The heat completely killed out appetite, so we just snacked on lightish stuff.



To just spend time pootling in the garden over the bank holiday has been so relaxing.  The coast would have been heaving with people, so we intend to pop there at the end of the week, weather permitting and hopefully have a nice swim in the sea.

I would love to know what you've been up to this weekend/bank holiday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p