Skip to main content


WE ARE NOT AMUSED!

Her face says it all!


As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister!


However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it.

I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the drape isn't quite right, but I'm a bit of a lazy mare when it comes to blocking, so we'll see.

I did increase the main body of the shawl by about ten rows.  You can see how big it is (our bed is Kingsize) which suits me as I like things large. I always buy sweaters that are  one or two sizes bigger than I need.


The light in our bedroom is really bad (north facing).





I chose colours as close to those chosen by Annette of My Rose Valley, who's pattern this is, using Stylecraft Special DK in the following colours:


I did manage to make  slight cock-ups though, which was down to choosing wool one evening by the light of my wall lights.  I thought I'd chosen Raspberry, but somehow a random yarn had made it into my Stylecraft stash and I mistook it for Raspberry.  I was gutted, but didn't really want to frog back and lovely Mr. pointed out that they wouldn't be close together enough for anyone to notice.  Isn't he sweet!

Raspberry on the left, interloper on the right

Also, I have never looked closely at the dye number on yarn labels in the past, That's gonna change!


Again, it's no biggie, it's only for me to wear around the house, allotment possibly, campsite...not for going out somewhere special, but it's a lesson learned.   If I do the silver version, which I'm quite tempted to, I will be checking those labels, oh yes!

Due to the first of these mistakes, I have decided that it's time to sort out my stash cupboard and make it more user friendly.   We bought a large number of these wooden boxes at auction years ago and they've been languishing in our unit since then.



Well, I had this wonderful idea of painting them, lining them with fabric and using them for yarn storage.  I will show you the disgrace that is my stash cupboard as a before and after, once I've cracked on and accomplished a few finished boxes.  Any hints on how to line a box with fabric would be muchly appreciated!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p
TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh